A leading manufacturer of 涂料 for forestry applications requested assistance to reduce cost and improve performance by reformulating two of their product lines to form a new 木材涂料.
十大彩票平台 reformulated the product lines by replacing a portion of some pigments with lower cost substitutes that provided lower cost and improved performance.
Launching a new 木材涂料 that reduces cost by 10% while providing equivalent opacity and improved depth of color
当 地球颜料有限公司. approached 十大彩票平台 to assist them in developing an 环境治 粉末涂料 for architectural applications, the challenges were daunting. The 涂层 had to be comprised of nontoxic binders and pigments, preferably 自然ly occurring and provide a 涂层 with zero organic volatiles (VOC) or volatiles that are considered to be non VOC. Within a few short weeks, 十大彩票平台 was able to formulate a powder 涂层 that met 无机颜料的需求.
Most powder 涂料 require oven cure to either melt and fuse the thermoplastic powder or to fuse and enable crosslinking if the powder is thermoset in nature. Powder 涂料 are available in a range of colors similar to liquid 涂料.
Advantages of powder 涂料 include:
- little or no organic volatiles
- no need for solvents for reducing or adjusting viscosity
- long term storage stability
- lower shipping costs as the product does not contain solvent or water
- no need to store volatile solvents, therefore lower insurance costs, as powder 涂料 are by nature 100% solids and most liquid 涂料 are not
Disadvantages of powder 涂料 include:
- greater tendency for the surface to peel
- poorer adhesion and more film defects such as craters and pin holes if the surface is not adequately cleaned and treated
- more sensitive to contamination, more difficult to change color when finishing products
- it is much more difficult to apply a continuous thin film
Determining the effective cost of 油漆 that can be made from 自然ly occurring elements involves several issues that must be considered. These include the volume solids of the 油漆, 应用程序的方法, and the geometry of the object to be 油漆ed. 例如, a 油漆 that sells for $20 per gallon at 20% volume solids is actually more expensive on an applied cost basis than a 油漆 that sells for $40 per gallon at 45% volume solids.
To illustrate the cost of 油漆 to apply one mil (0.001 inch) per 100 square foot of the $20 油漆 is as follows:
- If a gallon of 油漆 weighs 10 pounds and is $20/gallon at 20% volume solids = 10# of the 20 $/Gallon X 0.20 pounds of volume solids = 2.0 pounds of solid or dry 油漆 per gallon of liquid 油漆 for $20. 相应的 the cost of each dry pound of 油漆 is $10. The square foot coverage of a 油漆 is 1604 square feet per mil at 100% volume solids. Since our 油漆 is 20% volume solids, at one mil dry film thickness, one gallon of 油漆 will cover 1604 square feet/mil X 0.20%体积固体= 320.8 square feet/gallon at a cost of $20. 相应的 the cost to 油漆 100 square feet of surface is $20 X 100/320.8 = $6.23
To illustrate the cost of 油漆 to apply one mil (0.001 inch) per 100 square foot of the $40 油漆 is as follows:
- A gallon of this 油漆 weighs 12 pounds and is $40/gallon at 45% volume solids = 12# of the 40 $/Gallon X 0.45 pounds of volume solids = 5.14 pounds of solid or dry 油漆 per gallon of liquid 油漆 for $40. 相应的 the cost of each dry pound of 油漆 is $7.78. The square foot coverage of a 油漆 is 1604 square feet per mil at 100% volume solids. Since our 油漆 is 45% volume solids, at one mil dry film thickness, one gallon of 油漆 will cover 1604 square feet/mil X 0.45%体积固体= 721.8 square feet/gallon at a cost of $40. 相应的 the cost to 油漆 100 square feet of surface is $40 X 100/721.8 = $5.54
相应的, 在这幅图, the $40 油漆 provides more value than the $20 油漆 as it provides lower cost coverage at equal dry film thickness. The table below illustrates 油漆 coverage per mil for 油漆 applied at 100% volume solids.